skip to Main Content

10 Best Psilocybe Cubensis Strains – For Beginners & Advanced

Psilocybe Cubensis Strains

With over 40 psilocybe cubensis strains available, let’s take a look at the most popular cubensis strains used by beginners & advanced psychonauts alike.

The thing to note about the different strains of the psilocybe cubensis is they will all be all in the same ball park when it comes to potency.  But do keep in mind that even if you were to grow 2 different batches from the same spores they would both come out with different levels of potency.  That’s just the way it is.

Some of the following strains listed below tend to come out a little more potent than others, which will be noted in the description.  But in general they all fall into the same general range listed above.

All strains listed below will have a link for you to purchase the spore print or spore syringe.  The reason I list the spore print is because that is the easiest for anyone to get shipped to them anywhere in the world without it getting confiscated by customs.

Not only that but spore print will last longer (up to 2 years) in the refrigerator and will allow you to create up to 7 batches from one print which means you get a lot for your money.

Then once you are about to run out of spores to scrape from your print on the last batch you can create your own new spore print by letting those mushrooms grow a little larger.

Please be advised that if you attempt to grow, possess or use magic mushrooms within the United States that is it a federal crime and you could be facing jail time.  Please seek the advice of a lawyer before attempting to grow magic mushrooms to better understand the law.  Also, California, Georgia and Idaho have made it illegal to even possess magic mushroom spores so be sure to speak with a qualified attorney before ordering any spores.

10 Most Common Types of Psilocybe Cubensis Strains

* All links to spores and spores syringes below should be ordered for the purpose of studying them under a microscope if within the United States because growing them would be a federal crime…

Here are the 10 most common strains of the psilocybe cubensis in order of popularity:

1)  Golden Teacher

golden teacher

The exact origin of the Golden Teacher is unknown but it made it’s appearance in the late 80’s.  It is a great mushroom strain for beginners while also being a favorite for advanced growers and has an average to high potency.

It grows large mushrooms with wide golden caps caps and a thick stem and probably gets it’s name from the color of it’s caps.  You can get several flushes (new growths) out of one batch and likes to grow in the following substrates.

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


2)  B+ Cubensis

B+ cubensis

This one is considered by many to be the most popular of all the cubensis species.  It has an unknown origin but is known as a P. azurescens / P. cubensis hybrid and has a higher than average potency level.  It will germinate quickly (meaning spores turning into mycelium) and will produce a large 1st flush followed by smaller ones.

Some people who take this strain say that the ‘sometimes occurring nausea’ that occurs with other strains is less likely to occur with this one.

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


3) Blue Meanie

In my video I originally stating that I thought the Blue Meanie was a member of the Panaeolus genus and not a Psilocybe cubensis strain.  However, I later learned that both species of mushrooms have the same common name of Blue Meanie.  That is where the confusion came in.

blue meanie

The one I am referring to in this article that made the top 10 list is actually a strain from the psilocybe cubensis.  If it was the Panaelous cyanescens (which also has the common name of Blue Meanie) then it would look like this:

Panaeolus cyanescens

They are actually pretty difficult to tell apart but do understand that the Panaeolus cyanescens have been reported as being 2x more potent than Psilocybe cubensis strains.

One way to tell them apart is the sport print.  The sport print of the Panaeolus cyanescens is black while the Psilocybe cubensis is dark purplish brown to violaceous brown.

Bellow is how to order the Psilocybe cubensis Blue Meanie strain:

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


4) Alacabenzi

alacabenzi

The Alacabenzi strain is reported by some to deliver more physical and spatial effects with a significant warping of balance in higher doses.  It wont provide an overly intense hallucinogenic experience but you may want to stay close to home until you get an idea for the optimal dosage for yourself.

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


5) Cambodian

cambodian

 

The Cambodian strain is great for a beginner because the mycelium will grow very fast and is also a fast fruiter.  It was first discovered growing on cattle dung by John W. Allen near the Angkor Wat temple complex which is a Buddhist temple in Cambodia and is the largest religious monument in the world.

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


Like This Article?  Pin It on Pinterest!

psilocybe cubensis strains


6) PF Classic

pf classic

The PF classic strain is named after Robert McPherson, aka Psylocybe Fanaticus who pioneered the PF Tek growing method.  It is a slow maturer and grows best with the BRF or PF Tek method (it is illegal to grow in the United States by the federal law).

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


7) Orissa India

orissa india

This mushroom was originally found growing in elephant dung in Orissa India by John W. Allen.  This one grows taller than any other cubensis (cube) strain and will have wide saucer like caps.  This strain is perfect for beginner because it is a very forgiving strain and withstands contamination very well.

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


8) Florida White (F+)

florida white f+

The Florida White (F+) often gets ‘put off’ because it’s name include ‘F+’ which most people associate with failure.  It is however an A+ strain and is a favorite among experienced growers for the vivid visuals it provides.  It will grow medium sized fruits very similar to the Texas strain.  It is higher in potency typically and because it is very dense it doesn’t lose a lot of size in drying.

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


9) Penis Envy 6

penis envy 6

The Penis Envy is one of the most difficult mushrooms to find because only 5% of it’s mushrooms drop spores and it has a short shelf life and will contaminate easily.  Therefore, it is typically more expense to buy.

They can also take 7 to 10 days to germinate so  you have to be patient.  Many people think they have dead spores when they just need to wait a little longer.

The founder of this strain is RG back in the 1990’s however many people thought it was the late Terrance McKenna who engineered this strain.  Most people report it being about 1.5x more potent than normal cubensis strains and yes it is uniquely shaped like a penis.

The Penis Envy 6 is one of the best hybrids which is a cross between the Texas strain and the Penis Envy strain.

This strain is very hard to get a print of so you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that it has a very short shelf life:

spore syringe


10) Z Strain

z strain

The Z Strain was engineered in a lab and is one of the most aggressive and fastest producing strains there is.  It produces dense and meaty mushrooms and utilizes all of it’s substrate very well.  It’s mushrooms will also grow taller than most all other strains and has been reported as having higher than normal potency.

>> Click here to order a spore print that ships anywhere in the world <<

spore print

If you don’t want to get the spore print you can get the spore syringe but keep in mind that they will only last a couple months in the fridge (sometimes up to a  year):

spore syringe


Conclusion

This article should give you a good idea of some of the most common strains of the psilocybe cubensis mushroom so you can pick one that best suits your situation if you live in an area of the world where it is legal to do so.

No matter where you are in the world, the spores links I have provided are to a company that will ship worldwide for the purpose of studying them under a microscope.

And if your worried about the legal issues, that part is up to you based on your location.  All I can say is that most people in America that use for personal use don’t have any issues from the police.  It is only the people who try to profit from selling them that will have an issue.

If you are a beginner you would probably want to go with one of these:

1)  Golden Teacher

2) Cambodian

3) Orissa India

4) Z Strain

or if you are more advanced you could try the Penis Envy.

If you want to know the proper sized dosage to take based on what you want to get out of it, then check out this article here:

magic mushroom dosage

Other than that, enjoy what ever magic mushroom you decide and later on try one of the other psilocybe cubensis strains and see if you have a different psychedelic experience.


Link Attribution for Image and Videos:

The following presentations contain images/videos that were used under a Creative Commons License. Click the links below to see the full list of images/videos and attributions:

Podcast Video:

https://link.attribute.to/cc/1329517

YouTube Video:

https://link.attribute.to/cc/956210


Legal Disclaimer:

Psilocybin remains illegal under federal law in the United States.  We do not advocate for, endorse, or intend for this report to be used to violate federal law.

We do not profit from any of the links to the spore provider listed in this article nor are we affiliated with them in anyway.

________________________________

FDA DISCLAIMER

Curative Mushrooms has to post the standard FDA Disclaimer…The statements made regarding medicinal mushrooms have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of these products has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. Curative Mushrooms is not making claims intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. All information presented here is not meant as a substitute for or alternative to information from healthcare practitioners. Please consult your healthcare professional about potential interactions or other possible complications before consuming the medicinal mushrooms. The Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act requires this notice.

MEDICAL DISCLAIMER

This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Curative Mushrooms nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement or lifestyle program.

_________________________________

Oliver

Oliver

Always looking for ways to improve the health of myself and my family led me to the discovery of medicinal mushrooms and the numerous health benefits they have on the body. My mission is to spread this knowledge and help as many people as possible.

This Post Has 37 Comments

    1. Hi Timothy,

      The links I have in this article can be used to order the spore syringe and they ship world wide. I do recommend you review your countries laws to understand the risk in your area.

      Please let me know if you have any other questions.

      Thanks.

      Best regards.

  1. Id like to know if the substrates are readyvto go or need extra preparation?
    Thank you
    Jorge

    1. Hi Jorge.

      Yes. These substrates are ready to go and need no further preparation. All you need to do is inoculate it with you mushroom spawn (for legal types of mushrooms).

      If you don’t have mushroom spawn yet it is recommended to start with the rye grain substrate. Then, once that gets full colonized then you can break it apart and add it to your bulk substrate (preferably the manure).

  2. I’m looking for the very easiest way to grow mushrooms as a first timer.
    I had success in taking them, but
    I’m in a great deal of pain now so I need to buy them whole or grow them myself. Thanks for your help.

    1. Hello,

      The easiest way to grow legal mushrooms from spores yourself is to order a spore sprint online.

      Then once you get the spore print you can scrape some spores into a cup with some distilled water. Then suck the spore water into a spore syringe.

      Make your needle red hot with a lighter and inject the spore water into the self healing injection port on a rye grain bag. Put the bag in a dark place and wait for it to fully colonize.

      Then you can add it to your monotub with manure substrate (for manure loving mushrooms) in the bottom. The size of the tub would depend on how many mushroom you want to produce.

      I have a video of it and more details in my article here:

      How to Grow Mushrooms at Home – Beginner to Advanced

  3. Thank you for sharing your knowledge about these different strains of Cubes. I live in West Central Alabama and have been able to gain permission to look in a lot of pastures locally. I usually only find Golden Teachers but have stumbled across a few Blue Meanies Pans not cubes. My spots produce 25-100 caps per walk. So I’m happy but would like learn more about them.

  4. Hey Oliver,
    Is the website your putting us on to reliable?, do you get your spores and syringe from here?

    1. Hi Mia,

      Great question! Most people will not want to talk about where they get their spores from due to legality issues in certain locations.

      However, I do recommend you take a look at their refund policy on their FAQ page here:

      FAQ

      Also, here is a recap of it:

      “Our spore syringes and prints are guaranteed 100% viable, and contamination free for 30 days. We will replace spores that are not viable free of charge. (in some cases me may request addition postage if special postage is needed.)…Generally if a package is seized we can reship the order to you and usually ( about 90%) it will clear customs the second time. If it doesn’t arrive the second time, no refunds will be issued. Please check your countries laws before ordering.”

      Hope that helps.

      Best Regards.

  5. I found a strange mushroom on a property Ive lived on for 30yrs and I’ve never seen them before i have picks of them but im curious of what they are can someone please tell me?

    1. Spore syringe is easier because you wont have to put the spore from the print into a syringe however if you get the spore print you can make up to 7 syringes yourself so you would get more bang for your buck.

    1. Hi Christina,

      When you say ready to use do you mean a grow kit that is ready to grow them?

      If so those are harder to get because they don’t ship Non EU countries.

  6. hey oliver, great page, i dont usually leave comments but i must lol. very impressed, my question is what strain has the most volume to potency ratio? my problem usually is in fruiting i feel i could get so much more, is regulating temp for growing fruit neccesary?

    1. Hi Allen,

      That is a good question and no one has listed the exact potencies of these different strains because it is a very expensive test to do.

      However, if we just assume they will all be in the same ‘ball park’ of potency because they are all the cubensis species then I would think the Z Strain would give you the most bang for you buck.

    1. Hi Steven,

      The biggest thing is to make sure you are in a safe place and preferably having someone you trust to monitor.

      Another good idea would be to start with a low dose and work your way up to be extra safe.

      Regards,
      Oliver

    1. Hi Jeff,

      For legal mushrooms, liquid culture is always better because it is further along the growing process than spores. You are basically cloning another mushroom.

      However, if you want to create a whole new strain of mushrooms then you will want spores.

      Hope that helps.

      Regards.

  7. Hi I’m from India….I had an accidental yield of a mushroom from a cow dung which is in the image….I do not know whether it’s cubensis or not….Any help?

    panaeolus cyanescens

  8. Hello, after a relatively short wait , these beauties started to appear. What variety are they?
    Thanks so much for all your information about them mushrooms. Love n happiness your way

    cubensis

  9. Hi Oliver, New grower here. Just wondering what the easiest, fastest-growing and most prolific producers are for first-time growers. Also, what on your site would you recommend me purchasing as a substrate and grow medium? Thanks so much!

  10. Hi Dee,

    Most people like the Golden Teacher.

    The easiest bags for fruiting manure loving mushrooms is BOOM bags.

    I hope that helps.

    Please be advised that growing the types of mushrooms on this page is a federal crime and we don’t endorse or advocate for people to break the federal law.

    Regards!

  11. I’m not sure the video above describes exactly how to purchase dried magic mushrooms in the U.S. Is there any way that you yourself can put it in simpler terms? I’m desperately trying to avoid the dark web in this situation.

    1. Hi Hank,

      Unfortunately getting dried psilocybin mushroom will be illegal in most places. However, it is legal to purchase the spores for the purpose of studying them under a microscope.

  12. Howdy Oliver, I was going to buy some beginner suggestions from your article but it appears all strains are out of stock. Any idea when stock will be available again. Is there any way to place an order and have it on back order?

    Rudy

        1. There is the possibility that you could get caught. So please do so at your own risk and make sure you research the law well to understand the consequences if you do get caught.

  13. The bunch on the left I found this morning, and the other two bunches about 9 hours later. Can you tell what they are?

    1. Please explain where you found them growing and your general geographical location. If you have a picture in there natural growing environment that would help as well.

  14. Hi Oliver. I’m very about the genetics of the Albino Penis Envy strain and would love to learn more about specific cultivation techniques for this strain a well as spore/culture acquisition issues (if different from any other PC strain).

    I love your site! Thanks for all the great info. You rock!
    -dt

  15. I like how direct you are with people about the law and PC strains. People are always asking our company for spores of PC etc and they seem amazed that we don’t sell or produce illegal varieties. Hence I appreciate you not publishing my question online as it suggests possibilities that could disappoint our customers. Actually, I know many that have had very bad experiences with the law relative to psychedelics in the southern US, especially so a super thanks I guess in order. My interest in the albino strain of PE is theoretical. It is the one of the very few variant “genetically mutated” strains that I’ve heard about…my specific question is what specific genetic mutations/alterations would be relevant for altering PC other than characteristics associated with psilocin and psilocybin? Nobody I’ve ever asked this question seems to know.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The maximum upload file size: 1 MB. You can upload: image. Links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other services inserted in the comment text will be automatically embedded.

Back To Top
×Close search
Search

Want a FREE Mushroom Sryinge Delivered Right to Your Door?

Enter your email address below for a chance to WIN a Medicinal Musrhoom Spore Syringe (strain of your choosing) or 3 'All-In-One' Grow Bags in my February 2021 giveaway
You’ll also get my ‘Top 10 Medicinal Mushroomsreview and be signed up for my exclusive  newsletter.
YES!  I Want to Enter For a Chance to WIN!
We will never share your email address without your permission.
close-link